Thursday, January 26, 2017

The Rules of Love...

We had a new preacher on Sunday who preached a great message and totally inspired my time in the Word.  I don't often find myself in Deuteronomy, but here is where I have dwelt so far this week.  Deuteronomy 6:1-7:

“Now this is the commandment—the statutes and the rules—that the Lord your God commanded me to teach you, that you may do them in the land to which you are going over, to possess it, that you may fear the Lord your God, you and your son and your son's son, by keeping all his statutes and his commandments, which I command you, all the days of your life, and that your days may be long. Hear therefore, O Israel, and be careful to do them, that it may go well with you, and that you may multiply greatly, as the Lord, the God of your fathers, has promised you, in a land flowing with milk and honey.
“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise."

I work with a lot of kids who struggle to follow rules, struggle to understand the point behind many rules and in general find themselves wandering in one desert after another desperately trying to find their way.  They need leading, but like the rest of us stubborn humans, leading is the last thing they seem able to seek, let alone accept.  

Rules {commands} are all about God's desire to remain in relationship with His children.  His law teaches us how to stay with Him.....how, blessedly simple is that?  His law is about His affection for us! I get that....because in my humanly parental heart, I know what it feels like to want my child to stay...to share who they are, to talk to me, to seek my counsel, to allow me to tend their pain and share their joy....no matter how old they get.  I want them to stay.  God wants me to stay.  He wants you to stay.

Hopin' to touch some hearts with this perspective and simple truth.....

I have to add a quick little note about my bible journal page, too!  I {heart} the way it turned out!  I used three different alphabet stamp sets from Sweet 'N Sassy Stamps:  Shake It Off Caps and Lowercase and Outline Alpha.  I also used a few other sets for accents:  Stand Tall and Bottom of My Heart.  I stamped everything and then masked off some of the accents and the Outline Alpha letters.  I used post-it notes because I don't have a better idea...it's kind of putzy, but I like that (especially while watching the Packer game....I need my coping skills!).  After everything was masked off, I applied four different colors of Ranger Distress Inks.  To finish things off, I added a page marker, some white signa pen outlines and a little bit of sparkle.  Don't you love that sweet little birdie?? (Stand Tall)

Be Blessed--Jane


No comments:

Post a Comment