Friday, April 10, 2015

SNSS April Release, Windy Winnie and a TUTORIAL.....just for you!

Happy Friday, Sweet Friends!  It's release day at Sweet 'N Sassy Stamps!  If you are a member of the Sweet Perks Club, you've already seen some of the new designs.  The new designs make those masculine cards a piece of cake!  All new stamps and dies are available TODAY for preorder.  Join us, next week Friday, April 17th, for an inspirational April Release Hop and Challenge!

Windy Winnie, from the Sweet 'N Sassy March release, is still on my mind as the weather here changes daily.   Yesterday it poured all day and this morning, I woke to 5 inches of snow!  Go figure!  I could use any of the Winnie sets and still be weather appropriate!

As I created this card, I reflected on the storms of life....it made me think of my friend, Missy.  I'm so grateful for her friendship.  My experience has been to usually walk in a storm alone--it's part of storminess, I guess.  It is where growth happens and, in my experience, the drawing nearer.....It has also been my experience, that eventually, the clouds begin to part and you realize that there are those who walk beside you.  My friend, Missy, is such a gift to me, and, literally walks beside me :) ....I think those who walk with us are God's tangible reminder that He is ALWAYS with us--we are never alone.  I chose this beautiful sentiment from Be Encouraged, from Sweet 'N Sassy stamps,  for just this reason!

I also filmed a little tutorial for you.....

The Bokeh effect has been translated into a stamping technique by many.  This is just my little take on it.  I think the Windy Winnie is perfect for such a technique!--The supplies I used are shown below.  I chose distress inks to create my water colored background, but you could use just about any type of water coloring to create your own.
 Distress Inks & Water Spritzer
Water Color Paper
Various Circle Punches (or dies) & Scrap Cardstock
Painter's Tape (optional)
Stamp Image
White Pigment Ink & Dauber
Black Ink & Black Marker

The Painter's Tape is optional because if you do not wish to create an uninked frame around your piece, you will not need it.  I wanted my final product to have the frame, so I started simply by masking a frame around the water color paper.
Working on a nonstick surface, I applied several distress inks directly to the surface and spritzed, liberally, with water.
Directly apply the water color paper to the watered inks.  I recommend having a rag towel or paper towel near by to mop up excess inks as desired.  Allow the first dipping to dry a bit.....
Re-dip in the pooled ink until the desired look is achieved.  Allowing dry time between the layers of ink will produce the most interesting results, in my experience!  Have fun and experiment!  When you like what you see, remove any masking and allow the piece to dry completely.
Next, I stamped my image--with the idea of silhouetting her.  Again, everything about this background says Windy Winnie to me!  She's such a fun character!
Using the various circle punches and scrap card stock, create a stencil of sorts that you will use to apply the pigment ink circles or bokeh effect.
Apply white pigment ink, using a dauber, through the punched circles to your background piece. If you are also silhouetting your image, avoid applying the pigment ink to the image.  Use varying intensity of the white ink in different circles.  This increases the bokeh effect. Allow the white ink to dry completely or heat set to avoid smearing while completing your card.
Using a black permanent ink, such as a Copic marker or Sharpie, color the entire image to create a silhouetted look.
It's that easy!

Now, go walk along side someone and make it a great day!  Don't forget to be awesome!
TTFN, Jane

I got crafty with:



4 comments:

  1. What a stunning card. Your story about your friendships were very touching. Thank you for sharing your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, Jane! What an awesome card and tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing your heart and your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it! Thx for the toot! And thx for using my gal's design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it! Thx for the toot! And thx for using my gal's design!

    ReplyDelete